VanderfordFamily.com






Legend

Original Document
Cemetery
Description
History
Map
Newspaper
Census

(aaa) Has Web Page

[aaa] Ref. Source


 

Charles Vanderford (104)

Father: George Paul Vanderford (18)
Mother:


b.c. late 1670s

d. 1737 in Queen Annes County, Maryland [QA will Box 13:1]

m. Hester [QA deed IKC:255]

Issue:

Richard Vanderford (243), b.c. 1695, d. before 1768

John Vanderford (221), b.c. 1697, d. Jan 1783 [QA will Box 13:1]

Vincent Vanderford (220), b.before 1710,dc. 1758 [QA will Box 13:1]

Benjamin Vanderford (222), b. 1718, dc. 1766 [QA will Box 13:1]

Charles Vanderford (223), b.c. 1725 [QA will Box 13:1]

Ester Vanderford, b. between 1721-30 [QA will Box 13:1]

m. October 18, 1745, Dugis McGriggors [Wright,1983]

Information:

March 2, 1713:
Charles witnessed the will of Edward Hambleton, an innholder of Queen Annes County, Maryland. [Baldwin,1968]

April 18, 1713:
Charles bought 100 acres called 'Fortune' for 3888 pounds of tobacco. 'Fortune' adjoined the lands originally laid out for his grandfather, Michael Paul Vanderford and had been originally taken up by John Jackson, his uncle. [QA deed ETA:140]

August 25, 1715:
Charles and his wife Hester sold for 100 pounds "current money of America" the two tracts of land called 'St. Pauls' and 'Carmans Neck' originally taken up by Michael Paul Vanderford. (Since Charles was in possession of his grandfather's property, his father, George must have recently died.) [QA deed IKA:45]

August 25, 1715:
Charles and his aunt Catherine (19) sold for 21,219 pounds of tobacco and 35 pounds, 14 shillings and 4 pence "all those several tracts formerly possessed by Michael Paul Vanderford, late of Talbot, deceased, on the south side of Courseys Creek." [QA deed IKA:47]

August 25, 1715:
Charles bought for 40 pounds 100 acres near the road to Queenstown adjacent to the tract called 'St. Pauls.' (This was probably Vanderford's Agreement. From other documents it appears that he also bought back 50 acres of both 'St Pauls' and 'Carmans Neck.') [QA deed IKA:48]

September 17, 1719:
Charles was commissioned to inspect and look after the finishing of the Wye Church in St. Paul's Parish. [Emory,1950]

April 25, 1720 to April 10, 1723:
Charles was a vestryman for Old Chester Church in St. Paul's Parish. [Emory,1950]

January 11, 1721:
Charles was to employ John Salisbury to prop and make window shutters for St. Paul's Church. [Emory,1950]

November 26, 1728:
Charles was paid as a petit juror of Queen Annes County court at Queenstown. [Wright,1986]

1729:
Charles appeared in the Queen Annes County Levy Court Squirrel Head Bounty List. [Wright,1986]

May 7, 1729:
Charles deeded to his brother, George (107), 56 2/3 acres of Fox Hill for brotherly love and affection and 1000 pounds of tobacco. [QA deed IKC:237]
Charles deeded to his brother, Thomas (106), 56 2/3 acres of Fox Hill for brotherly love and affection and 1000 pounds of tobacco. [QA deed IKC:240]

August 27, 1729:
Charles deeded to his brother, William (108), 56 2/3 acres of Fox Hill for brotherly love and affection and 1000 pounds of tobacco. [QA deed IKC:246]

September 17, 1729:
Charles resolved with Edward Wright, Jr. the boundary dispute between Fox Hill and Notlars Delight, both lying on Hambleton's Branch. [QA deedIKC:255]

April 10, 1732 to 1735:
Charles was a vestryman for Old Chester Church in St. Paul's Parish. [Emory,1950]

December 7, 1733:
Charles, along with James Earle, William Clayland and William Emory, was summoned to appraise the land of James Davis. [Leonard,1988]

April 17, 1734 - recorded July 9, 1734:
Charles sold 40 acres of 'Fortune' for 4500 pounds of good sound mercantable tobacco and 1 pistol. [QA deed RAT:306-9]

1734:
Charles paid taxes on 100 acres of 'Vanderfords Agreement' (4 shillings), 60 acres of 'Fortune' (3 shillings), and the 100 acres of 'St. Pauls' and 'Carmans Neck' (2 shillings). [QA debt book pg.28]

June 26, 1735 - recorded August 5, 1735:
Charles sold 150 acres to Arthur Emory for 6000 pounds of tobacco, 55 pounds sterling of Great Britain and 10 pounds paper money. The 150 acres was composed of 50 acres of St. Pauls, 50 acres of Carmans Neck and 50 acres of Fortune. [QA deed RTA:490-2]

February 15, 1736 - probated November 22, 1737:
In his will Charles left "20 pounds current money of this province" to be paid to Ester when she was 16 or married and to Benjamin and to Charles when they were 18. The remainder went to his son Vincent, who was to care for Charles and Ester. John, another son, was to care for and educate Benjamin as a carpenter.

June 26, 1736:
Charles sold his remaining acerage (a total of 160 acres) of 'St. Pauls', 'Carmans Neck' and 'Fortune' for 6000 pounds of tobacco, 55 pounds sterling and 10 pounds paper money to Arthur Emory. (This transaction took place after he wrote his will and it appears that the only land left for Vincent to inherit was 100 acres of 'Vanderfords Agreement.') [Ledley]


This document maintained by sherry@vanderfordfamily.com.
Material Copyright © 1998 {CDAccess.com, Inc.}