MICHAEL PAUL VANDERFORD (1)
b. 1605-1615 in Dermont, Flanders [RDC Marriages]
d. Sept. 20, 1692 in Talbot County, Maryland
[TC will 2:56]
m. Nov. 18, 1640 in New York, Maria Rapalje
("18 Nov. Michiel Paulus, j.m. Van dermonde in Vlaenderen, en Maria Rappalje,
j.d. Van N. Nederlt") [RDC Marriages]
b. March 11, 1627 on Manhattan, d. after 1690
Father:George Jansen Rapalje [Allaben] b. 1600-1605 in Rochelle, France, d.
1662 on Long Island, N.Y.
Mother: Catalina Trico [Allaben] b. 1605 in Paris, France, d. Sept.
11, 1689 on Long Island, N.Y. (Catalina was the daughter of Jeronomic Trico,
b.c. 1585 in Paris, France.)
Michiel Van der Voort, bap. Jan. 19, 1642 ("19
Jan; Michiel Paulusz.; Michiel; Pieter Loockermans, Hans Noorman, Catharina
Trico"), d. after 1661 [Skordas,1968]
Josyntie Van der Voort, bap. Dec. 20, 1643
("20 Dec; Michiel Paulusz.; Josyntie; Joris Rappalje, Jan Aertszen, Tryntje
Everts "), d. before 1647
Josyntje/Cosine/SusannahVan der Voort, bap.
June 2, 1647 ("2 Jun; Michiel Pauluszen; Josyntje; Adriaen Tienhoven, Maryken
Lievens"), d. after 1692
m. John Jackson in Maryland
Paulus Van der Voort(14),
bap. Jan. 3, 1649, d. June 2, 1681
Jan/John Van der Voort, bap. Dec. 11, 1650
("11 Dec; Michiel Pauluszen Van der voort; Jan; Adriaen Dirckszen, Hendrick
Pieterszen, Grietie Gerrits, Hester Jans"), d. after 1683
m. Neeltje Harmens
issue: Michael, bap. Nov.
23, 1684 [Ledley]
Maria/Mary Van der Voort, bap. July 27, 1653
("27 Jul; Michiel Pauluszen Van der Voort; Maria; Pieter Van Neste, Abraham
Martenszen, Engeltie Mans"), d. after 1661 [Skordas,1968]
Hendrick Van der Voort, bap. Aug. 22, 1655
("22 Aug; Michiel Pauluszen, Marritie Joris; Hendrick; Sara Joris"), d. before
Vanderford(18), bap. Oct. 18, 1656, d.c. 1715
Vanderford(19), bap. Oct. 27, 1658, d. Aug. 24, 1749
Nov. 18, 1640:
Maria Rapalje, who had been living on Manhattan since her birth there in 1627.
(He must have been an earlier resident, but was not the Michael Paauw of
Pavonia (Hoboken, N.J. and Staten Island) that others have suggested.)
May 6, 1643:
demanded Michael pay the first payment which was due last Easter on land sold
to him. Michael was ordered to make two payments next Easter unless he gave
sufficient security for the payment of 200 guilders next Easter 1644 and the
balance two years from now. (Abraham had received a patent for a large tract of
land in Brooklyn in 1640, close to George Rapalje's tract. George purchased his
land in 1637 and finally occupied it around 1655.) [NYHMD IV:193]
June 18, 1643:
Abraham Rycken again
demanded payment for the sale of his plantation. Michael failed to appear in
court and Abraham was authorized to take possession of his property unless
Michael paid the purchase price and costs. (Michael may have defaulted due to
the Indian uprising of 1643-44, making land in Brooklyn almost impossible to
defend.) [NYHMD IV:196]
January 21, 1647:
granted Lot 2 of Block N Castello Plan on Manhattan Island for a house and
garden. (This lot had a brewery building on it and in 1665 was assessed to
Jacob Van Couwenhoven. There is no record of sale between Michael and Jacob.)
Block N is bordered by
Stone Street, Broad Street, South William Street, and Mill Lane. Lot 2 was the
second lot from Broad Street. Today, Stone Street does not connect to the east
side of Broad Strret, as it did in 1647, but the other streets are unchanged.[Icon]
August 17, 1649:
Michael received a
power of attorney from Claes Jansen d'Kock of Amsterdam to receive his share of
the prize ship "Tobasco," which he helped to bring in.
October 5, 1649:
a deed for a lot on the highway on Manhattan Island.
Michael used his sloop to
fetch 14 loads of palisades for the City Works. These were used to build the
wall along what is now Wall Street from the Hudson River to the East River.
September 1, 1653:
in Court to demand payment on the palisades for the City Works which her
husband, Michael, had fetched with his sloop. Michael was awarded 10 gl. for
each load of palisades and there were 14 loads. [RNA
October 20, 1653:
Maria appeared in
Court and agreed to a debt of fl.203 owed by her husband, Michael, to Marten
Ottersen. She was given until the first of May, 1654 to pay.
Prior to 1654:
Michael bought the
westernmost portion of Lot 7, Block N in Manhattan from Wessel Evertson.
Michael built his house, #11 Castello Plan, on this lot. (This is now #49 Stone
February 16, 1654:
Lourens Corn van Wel for the loss of his scow. The defendant had hired the scow
and while it was lying at shore it was swept off.
April 27 and June 8, 1654:
was sued by Teunis Tomasen, mason, for payment of fl.13 for building a chimney.
Michael claimed that the chimney smoked badly and he had been forced to rebuild
it at a cost of 2 beavers. [RNA i,188, 206-7]
March 8, 1655:
Michael sued Thomas
Lambertsen and Corns. Cornelissen for payment of a half years rent for the
house they occupied. [RNA i,293]
May 31, 1655:
Michael (an old
Burgher) and his wife (a native of this country) were granted permission to
sell wine and beer by the "small measure" on the condition that they lodge
strangers and others. [RNA i,317]
October 12, 1655:
Maria paid a
voluntary tax of fl.15 at the City Hall. [RNA
December 6, 1655:
Maria appeared in
Court complaining that Anthony Gil and his partner had not delivered the wood
belonging to her. [RNA i,414]
February 28, and March 6, 1656:
Maria appeared in Court demanding the payment of fl.33 that Arent
Callebuys owed her husband, Michael, for board and incurred expenses.
March 13 and July 3, 1656:
sued Jacob van Couwenhoven for fl.234.9 and Jacob's brother, Pieter, sued
Michael for fl. 420. [RNA ii,60, 128]
March 9, 1657:
requested to pay the fl.15 tax which was assessed in October 1655.
April 9, 1657:
Michael was granted
the "right of small burgher" which allowed him to engage in trade and hold
minor or servile offices. [RNA vii,149-151]
April 1, 1658:
Michael is sued for
not fulfilling a contract to have "ridden timber." He claimed his horse needed
to be shod and promised to do his best to perform the contract.
April 8, 1658:
Michael had agreed
to sell some goods at Albany for Willem Pietersen and that whatever Michael got
for the goods over the fixed price was his. Michael sold two hhds of French
wines, invoiced at 11 beavers the hhd, for 13 beavers the hhd. Willem sued
Michael for payment. Michael offered to pay some beavers then and the remainder
"by the next opportunity." Michael was ordered to pay promptly.
November 16, 1658:
the next portion of Lot 7, #12 Block N Castello Plan, from Wessel Evertson and
hired the surveyor to measure up the property. (This is now No. 51 Stone
December 16, 1658:
Michael sold the
house and property at #12 Block N Castello Plan to Aris Otto for 1,500 gld.
with a mortgage for 900 gld. Otto turned it into a tavern. [Hol.Soc.Yr]
December 20, 1658:
Michael sold his
house and property at #11 Block N Castello Plan to Tillman Van Vleck with a
mortgage for 1250 gld. [Hol.Soc.Yr]
February 12, 1659:
Gerrit Brill had
some goods on Michael's yacht.[Hol.Soc.Yr]
September 23 and December 2, 1659:
Michael and Jacobus Vis contested a contract in which Michael
agreed to sell goods belonging to Jacobus. There remained a disagreement over a
parcel of "seawan" ("wampum" or strings of shells) that Michael was retaining
to trade for beavers. [RNA iii,54, 84-5]
December 9 and 16, 1659:
sold a foal for eight beavers or four tuns of beer to Hendrick Pietersen.
Hendrick claimed he had made the payment in beer to Jacobus Vis. Jacobus was
ordered to pay Michael fl.88 for the horse. [RNA
Michael, his wife Maria, and
their seven living children relocated to Maryland.
May 31, 1661:
The surveyor was
ordered to lay out for Michael 550 acres of land due him for transporting
himself, his wife, his children: Michael, Paul, Cosine, John, Mary, George and
Clare, and Clement Latoes and Henry Green. (This land was in Talbot County, now
Queen Annes County at the head of Courseys Creek, now Corsica Creek, near the
present town of Centreville. [patent 4:555]
July 30, 1661:
Michael, late of New
Amsterdam and subject of the State of Holland, was granted citizenship in the
Province of Maryland. [Archives, Vol.III]
August 3, 1662:
Michael was granted
200 acres of the 300 acres called St. Pauls laid out for him March 19, 1661.
This parcel was on the north side of Carman's Cove and Carman's Branch. It was
recorded on July 30, 1662. Michael was to pay rent (taxes) of 4 shillings
yearly, due in St. Marys at the feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin
Mary and at the feast of Saint Michael the Archangel.
[patents 6:11, 5:132 & 5:140]
July 4, 1663:
Michael was granted
200 acres called Paulsfort. This land was laid out for him on January 1, 1661
and recorded on October 9, 1662. It was on the east side of Courseys Creek,
just north of the present town of Centreville. The yearly rent was 4 shillings.
[patents 5:189 & 5:392]
June 19, 1666:
Michael and his wife
sold to Gerrard Vansweringen the 200 acres he, Gerrard, was living on.
November 10, 1666:
granted the last 150 acres (of his 550 acres) called Carman's Neck. This land
was laid out for him on May 20, 1666 and was on the east side of Courseys
Creek, bounded on the south by Patrick Forest's land and on the north by
Carman's Cove. The yearly rent was 3 shillings. [patents 10:204 & 10:244]
March 16, 1668:
acknowledged a judgment to William Head for 3500 pounds of tobacco. [Archives, Vol.LIV]
March 15, 1669:
the Court for 662 pounds of tobacco due from the estate of John Winchester and
1060 pounds of tobacco from the estate of Francis Barnes.
August 16, 1670:
ordered to pay Christopher Barnes 650 pounds of tobacco due for a cow.
September 20, 1670:
ordered to pay Martha Petterson 250 pounds of tobacco due for her wages.
Michael gave his
daughter Clara (Catherine) a cow and a heifer.
August 1, 1673:
Michael was granted
the two warrents James Clayland sold him. One, on October 8, 1672, for 100
acres called Vanderfords Agreement near the head of the western branch of
Courseys Creek and south of the land already owned by Michael. The other, on
November 7, 1672, for 350 acres called Vanderfort a mile from the head of the
western branch of Courseys Creek. (This land is now part of the town of
Centreville.) The rent on these parcels was 2 shillings per 50 acres.
[patents 17:426 & 17:217]
September 3, 1673:
Michael sold to
Herbert Croft 350 acres called Vanderford in Talbot County about a mile from
the head of Courseys Creek.
August 2, 1875:
Michael witnessed a
deed and a bond for John Scott. [Leonard,1988]
November 14, 1681:
planter, sold to Robert Smith, gentleman, for 1000 pounds of tobacco a patent
for 350 acres called Vanderfort. [TC deed KK5:139]
November 30, 1690, recorded September 20, 1692:
Michael's will bequeathed to his wife "a maintenance out of" his
estate for her lifetime unless she remarried. George Vanderford, his son, and
John Jackson, his son-in-law, were appointed executors and requested to divide
his estate into as many shares as he had children. George was to choose his
share first and John Jackson, second. He had about 300 pounds sterling due him
from New York and 5 pounds of that was to be given to the poor. [TC will 6:5]